Saturday, November 26, 2011

Non-objective art (grade 2/3)

This is a lesson that I did over 2 weeks with a grade 2/3 class. From the get-go, this has been one of my favorite projects.
                              
I found the idea here. Students were given a sheet of 11x17 paper, that I had pre-drawn rows of squares onto. We discussed what non-objectional painting was – painting the paper using no recognizable images. No hearts, no sunshines, no trees, just lines, circles, and swirls. They flipped the paper over, and began painting. They used the entire hour long period to fill the paper with pinks, purples, blues, metallics, and glitter glue. 





 The picture above is currently the backround on my iPad. I just love it!

During the second class, students were given a regular sheet of drawing paper, and began cutting out their squares (we realized early that we’d have lots of leftover, so they started by cutting off a big piece of their painting, which we will use in another art project.)


 After they had cut out their squares, they arranged them into an appealing pattern on their paper. Then, they glued them, overlapping slightly, trying to leave NO white behind!
When they were done, we mounted them on black cardstock.





Aren’t they just beautiful!? It’s hard to believe this was done by 7 and 8 year olds.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you!! That means a lot, considering where the idea came from :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I'm going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love them! I want to do one myself!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...